2.06.2007

Art

+JMJ

Praised be Jesus Christ! Greetings yet once again. Today I am rather distraught by modern art. No, not contemporary art. That stuff can get kinda weird. Modern art is stuff like cubism, expressionism, surrealism, and a few others. Yes, I know those styles can also get kinda weird as well. Anyways, I am distraught because I am supposed to paint/draw a expressionist landscape or interior. I wanted to do the inside of a lovely Cathedral, but they are all pretty far away. Then I wanted to do the chapel at Corpus Christi Monastery, but I don't have any good photos for reference. So, I came up with a library or huge study to work on. My only issue with this would be making the numerous books defined, but also have some emotional weight to them. I made some nice oil pastel drawings of certain parts of my idea, but I will have a handful to work with when it comes to the hundreds of books I am going to have to put in there. I liked the sketches very much and would love to carry them over, but it will take lots of work to get it to how I am imagining it to look.

Expressionism is hard. Arg. Sculpture was so much easier to work with when dealing with Modern Art movements. Now painting and drawing, on the other hand, is a whole new ball park. St. Luke, patron of artists, pray for me!

No comments: